Today is Veteran’s Day. They have a special place in my heart. Once upon a time, I worked at the RI Vet’s Home heading up their Physical Therapy Clinic. It was a challenging job filled with Joy & Love. The men ranged from WWII to Vietnam Vets and their demeanors ranged from over the top ornery to loving and grateful. One man in particular won my heart. Mr. G. had had multiple strokes. He could only move his right side and very slightly and he could not speak at all but he communicated with passion through his tender loving eyes. I found myself spending extra time with him ~ often finding him sitting alone in the sun during the summer or the lobby during the winter ~ on my way out of work.
By Staying Present, I in-joyed my conversations with Mr. G. Yes, they took extra time. Yes, I was often heading somewhere else. Yes, Fridays at quitting time, during my twenties, I would be on my way to happy hour. But, Time always seemed to create itself for these special moment!
The Best way to Get Everything Done is to stay present and open to the lessons and love of the moment. It spearheads you to finishing that ‘to-do’ list and bring you Joy in the process. When you feel rushed or too busy, when the momentum of life is on full throttle, that is EXACTLY when you have to slow down and focus on the moment. Here are some suggestions:
1) Stop Looking at Your Smart Phone when doing a task or in conversation. It will make you dumb. It takes you away from being in the moment. It takes you away from seeing the signs around you. It takes you away from the task at hand. It slows down getting things done!
2) Embrace Curiosity & Wonder. When working on a project, when engaged in a conversation, when trying to solve a dilemma look at it with curiosity. Allow your mind to say “I wonder what I will learn?”, “I wonder what answer will come to make this happen?”, “I am curious how the words will come to this page?” (Yes, I just asked that of me during writing this!)
3) Focus on The Desired Outcome. What do you want out of the task at hand? Are you hastily grocery shopping or are you focused on the nutritious meal you are going to be making for your family? Try focusing on that in the market next time ~ it will shift everything!
4) Stay Present & sink into your heart Space. We are coming up on the Holiday season when we will be spending time with family and loved one’s ~ often this will test our patience. By staying present and sinking into your heart space, miracles will happen. I was not focusing on getting to happy hour when talking with Mr. G. I was focused on his smile and his thoughts. You know happy hour can get a 20 year old in trouble sometimes. I know Mr. G’s love guided my decisions! Sink into that heart space, miracles will happen!
5) Smile. Did you know it takes less muscles and energy to smile than it does to frown? When you smile, you stay in the moment and make a task more in-joyable and easier to find answers to any challenges that may appear.
Are you able to see that by staying present you will be able to get everything done? What Tips do you have on staying Present?