Tis the Season, Right?! You can create spirit during the holidays any number of ways. Last week, I spoke about How to Get into the Holiday Spirit. Once you have it within you, how do you create it around you? That’s where Feng Shui ~ balancing the energy around you to assist in creating harmony within you ~ comes in. Creating a space that allows for holiday spirit to embrace you is a great way to maintain your own holiday spirit. Allow your inner light to be shared in your outer space!
Here are a few simple tips for creating the energy around you to support your definition of Holiday Spirit:
1. Bring Nature Indoors.Using earth energy will help keep you grounded this season. It will soothe your energy. You can use pine boughs and cones. My favorite decoration of all is anything with birch. It has yin and yang energy with it’s black and white contrast. It symbolizes cleansing of the past and new beginnings ~ it’s a perfect time of year to use it!
2. Focus on your door and entrance hall ~ this is the area that brings energy to you. Illuminate it. Use Red as it is a fire element that represents spirit and draws this to you.
3. Allow for flow ~ clear out clutter before decorating, imagine yourself as a guest meandering through your space and seeing treasures you have. Don’t over decorate one space and under decorate another. Allow Spirit to live throughout your home.
4. Create Sacred Shelves ~ Sacred shelves are places where we place symbolic articles. Many of us use the mantle piece to do so at the holidays. My mom used her deer collection my brother gave her to create a place of peace and serenity. Sacred Shelves for pictures, for holiday cards you receive, for special collections allow you to reflect as you pass by them throughout the holiday season.
5. K.I.S.S. your decorations ~ I’m not talking about mistletoe (though that is bringing nature indoors!). Keep it Simple Sweetheart. Don’t over decorate ~ allow flow to happen within all your decor.
Holiday Decorating can be a time of angst. Doing it out of obligation or at at time when other commitments are on your mind will create this for you. Decorate when you are embracing your definition of holiday spirit and allow the joy to be brought to it from WITHIN you. I plan on inviting my niece over for a girl’s night and we will decorate with her for added in-joyment. Do you have traditions you follow for decorating? What can you do this year that will enhance this time for you?
If you liked this post, please share it with your friends by clicking the links below! And, remember to share your thoughts below too, I’d love to hear from you!
So glad to read this article! I decorated last night and am happy to say I spread the decorations out all over the home. I like your idea of bringing nature indoors and will plan to do that as well. Thanks for some really neat tips!
I love this post Laura! Being intentional about the energy in our homes for the holidays is so important and I love your ideas about bringing nature inside, focussing on your door and entrance hall and decluttering so that there is a beautiful flow. The last few years I have simplified my decorating, added gratitude tags to our tree and only put up decorations and ornaments that we love. I have beautiful handmade ornaments that were my grandmother’s that weave tradition and meaning into our holiday season and celebrate her gift of the value of creativity to our family. Thank you for this great post!
Hohn I love bringing the outside in Laura! One of my favorite traditions once the real tree has been cut down and brought in and decorate… My hubby and I lie on the floor and just look up at the twinkling lights… Everything is so perfect and peaceful in those moments…
I’m actually excited this year to decorate… and with a FAKE tree! It’s something about being in this new home that’s got me excited. Something about our new life together, John & I. Lots of good things are coming & it all starts with my favorite season!!! (Not just my birthday. Lol)