When you are raised with high standards, when you are coached to be better, when you are one of those people who do not want to settle for less, how do you get over perfectionism? Overcome perfectionism about learning how to be excellent and not perfect.
I don’t know why I became an over-achiever and a type A. I just did. Was in instilled in me or was I born with it? Did I take my Dad’s instilling of excellence in me and turn it into needing to be perfect? I’m never going to know.
What I do know is that I have long since lost the need to be perfect. It’s in my imperfection that I am able to be a better person. It’s in my imperfection that I am able to coach as well as I do and it’s in my imperfection that I strive forward. It’s in my imperfection that I can appreciate the efforts of others and have a sense of humor over what mistakes I do make. I have learned how to be excellent and not perfect.
Here’s a simple Formula:
1) Do your best at any given moment ~when you do this, you know that your work is excellent.
2) Allow yourself to be human ~ no one is perfect, when you accept this perfectionism disappears.
3) Laugh at your mistakes ~ find a sense of humor in them
4) Apologize for those mistakes that affect others ~ when you do this from the heart, people love you even more.
5) Make Mistakes and turn them into Mis-Takes ~ one of my favorite expression is “I made a mis-take” and I pronounce it that way ~ it allows me to learn and grow from that place.
6) Forgive yourself for a mis-take ~ after all that’s just what it was.
Have you conquered perfectionism? In what way have you discovered how to be excellent and not perfect?