Sandy’s Wake: Staying Positive, Skinning the Technology Cat
Hurricane Sandy has hit the Northeast hard. No doubt, it will be days, weeks and months before things are back to normal.
We only have no power. We’ve been told that it will be out until at least the end of the week. I’m one of the lucky one’s. I spent much of the day before getting prepared. We actually had 3 different ‘plans’ in place depending on the magnitude of her SLAM!
So, we have gone to River House (that’s the name of our home) Emergency Management System~ Plan A.
(Plan A because my father’s house has electricity as well as my guy’s job and my office!) It consists of:
- ~Only Flush when absolutely necessary. Men are to take Garden Pees only. Our river is graciously lending us water 5 gallon paint buckets for our toilets. I feel like I’m living on Little House on the Prairie when we go fetch the water!
- ~Our diet will consist of as much as the Camper Cooler can hold at any given time. We will try to stay away from take out as much as possible.
- ~Showers will be done Chez Dad’s for me and my guy might actually get in the river!! Yikes ~ that will be cold !
- ~Cell phones are charged via our cars.
- ~The internet is down at the office. So, I’m on my laptop tethered to my cell!
~Pen and paper are being re-instituted in my home to limit time on electronic devices.
~The old kindle (yes, one of the originals) is back in action as it uses ‘way~less’ power.
And, part of each Plan, this mantra is our’s:
- ~Stay as Positive as Possible.
- ~Offer assistance where we can.
- ~Know that we are strong and capable of handling whatever the Universe sends our way.
I’ve become adept at skinning the technological cat. If one thing doesn’t work as expected, I go to an alternative. It seems like there are multiple ways to get around technology challenges ~ whether they be from technology or electrical outages!
Have you been affected by Sandy or have you been affected by long time power outages in the past? What have you done to weather the storm? Do you have any tips on how to skin the technological cat?
If you liked this post, please share it with your friends by clicking the links below. And, don’t forget to share with me your thoughts. I’d love to hear from you!
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sending much love and light to you all! Love your positive energy and can-do attitude. We’ve been watching the news and the pictures are unbelievable, but I do believe God is at work with a bigger plan and I can’t stop thinking about how much more compassion and love the United States has since 911. Quick tidbit: We each have hundreds of angels that are only for us – no one else. We do not share angels we have specific ones that are for us only. And when they are not busy helping us BECAUSE WE’VE CALLED UPON THEM – they are hanging around doing nothing. So be sure to talk to your angels all day long and tell them what you need. God be with you. ♥
Laura Clark Reply:
October 31st, 2012 at 12:51 pm
Thanks, Julie! We really are very very lucky and blessed. I just finished talking to a woman who was so upset that she JUST got back her electricity but is concerned that her internet might still be out because she can’t possibly do the work she does without it. I spoke with her about options that were available…the local starbucks and mcd’s have internet access as well as many coffee shops that are open. She said “Oh, I can’t be bothered thats too much trouble. I just want mine back.”
I’m so grateful for my attitude ~ it must be so challenging not to see that we always have options available to us and YES, if we simply ask angels, the universe, friends and families, we will always get answers!!!!!!!!!! KEEP SMILING!
Comment by Julie Geigle — October 31, 2012 @ 12:42 pm